Friday, May 04, 2007

2 weeks to go

There's a whole host of things I could just go off about, but I had a really great day yesterday and don't feel like being mean or angry. So what if the Republican candidates had their debate? I'll just ignore Condi's latest attempt to look like she's doing something positive and focus on the fact that there are 2 weeks exactly until I graduate from seminary. And I still have no clue what I'm going to do afterwards... :)

It's the time of year when we all hear about Mom's, Dad's and grads, and I usually get nauseated from the amazing amount of commercials telling you exactly what the perfect gift is for whatever the occasion is. It's not just for Christmas, folks! But I don't want anything for graduation! I've worked hard at school the lst four years so that I can work in a field where I'm not going to get rich because I don't want all that stuff in my house! I want to pay off my student loans, find a job that is meaningful and has good people, buy a small house and play in the yard/garden. I want to be a good aunt to my new nephew (Happy 1 week, Asher!), keep up my fabulous friendships, love on my pets and wife, and just be.

Change is always hard, even when it's good change and/or planned change. I know that I am a creature of habit - I like routines and knowing what to expect. But that doesn't mean that I can't be spontaneous or that I freak out when something unexpected comes along. Graduation has been looming on the horizon for a while now, and there don't appear to be any bumps in the road at this point. My family are coming out for the ceremony, as well as good friends from Oklahoma City and I'm looking forward to spending time with all of them. It's a time to celebrate all that has been done in the last four years and move forward to the next phase of my life. Right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot - hey I CAN do this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know we don't talk much anymore... I know that it's been a long time since you've heard from me... But I just wanted to say that yes, you can do this. No problem. And you're one of my all time heroes and best friends. And I miss you tons.

Anonymous said...

Awww, Tina!! I haven't heard from you in a while. How are things? Wedding madness setting in??

Anonymous said...

Definitely. Plus, I think I just got a teaching job. Got the offer but all the paperwork is still up in the air. And I haven't heard from them since last week when they offered me the job. (Except for a nice, short reply to the thank you note I sent.) Steven and I got our own place which will someday have a futon or sleeper couch in what is now our office, so you guys have got to come and visit! Oh... and we're getting a new kitty next week. haha.

Congratulations on all your hard work, Mandy. I know it hasn't always been easy... but you have made it through and great things are ahead for you.