Thursday, October 04, 2007

The passing of time

Now that I'm back in the "real world" since graduation in May, I've noticed how quickly time seems to be passing by. I couldn't wait to graduate and move on in a job, new house, etc. but looking back it seems like all of that happened while I was sleeping or something! Tomorrow is my birthday and I've barely thought about what I'd like to do - I don't even feel like I have time to do much of anything!

It occurred to me the other day that this job (which I love) is really the first time I've had a "traditional" work schedule. My other jobs have been part time around school or my 4 1/2 years working 7 pm to 7 am at 911. I've never had a true 40 hours/5 days a week job and it amazes me how much energy it sucks out of me. Every evening when I get home from work, I feed the dog and cat, let the dog out to run around (well, she doesn't so much run as strut and sniff) in the back yard and then I flop on the couch to rifle through the mail and I don't feel like doing much of anything else. I can generally muster the energy to turn on the tv and put something together for dinner but not much else.

I remember when I was growing up and my parents would be tired from work in the evenings, and I never got it - it's not like either of them had jobs involving physical labor. They just sat at desks! Or at least that's how I saw it. Not anymore. I don't have a lot of physical activity at my job - I sit at a desk either looking at a computer or talking on the phone most of the day. If/when I get up it's either to go to the bathroom, refill my water bottle, or go to the copier for whatever I just printer out. So why am I so tired? I don't even consider my job to be mentally taxing - it's just being polite to people and trying to fit them into our work schedules. It's certainly not anything you need a Master's degree to do. Do you feel like this too? Do you know why?

It wouldn't really be a big problem for me, except that I'm used to getting a lot of things done, particularly around the house. This summer I was working part time and taking care of other stuff around my work schedule. I got laundry done, took recycling in, paid bills, etc. but now I feel like I'm trying to squeeze those things in here and there where I can steel a few minutes. It doesn't feel good - it feels like I'm always rushing and always have more things to do. And I just moved. I have stacks of boxes all over my house and I still haven't gotten my home computer and desk put back together! I've been doing all of that kind of stuff via my work computer (which isn't really ethical). I know that life is busy for a lot of people and there's no reason why I have to get all these things done all at once, but I wish I didn't have to live in the clutter in the meantime - it doesn't make me feel good to be living among all the boxes. And I'd like to have a housewarming party sometime before Christmas. What do you do when you feel like this? Any suggestions for me?

1 comment:

Kim in KCK said...

Welcome to real life. Yes, being polite to people and trying to fit them into a schedule CAN be very mentally taxing. Sitting at a desk can be part of the problem, too. Moving around helps keep one's energy up. The body can get so used to sitting, that's all it wants to do.

I suspect you're a little more anal about a neat house than I am. Kids sap it out of a person, too.

Go easy on yourself, though, you'll figure out a routine that works for you and Trouble, and it will get better. Maybe set a goal of unpacking one box per evening. Do it as soon as you get home, before you have a chance to sit down. It'll help the stress and you'll feel like you've accomplished something. But stop after one. Otherwise, you'll burn yourself out and be even more tired.

Now if I just knew how to take my own advice. :)