Friday, November 07, 2008

Friday Five: Funnies Edition

After an exhausting election here in the states it's time for some spirit lifting! Join me with a nice cup of tea or coffee or cocoa and let's sit back and read the Funny Papers!
1. What was your favorite comic strip as a child?

I don't know if I really had a favorite - I liked all of them! It just made me feel like a grown up to be reading the paper next to my dad after church. I guess if I had to pick, my childhood faves were probably Garfield and Peanuts.
2. Which comic strip today most consistently tickles your funny bone? Isn't it interesting to see how tastes change as we get older? My favorites now tend to be Get Fuzzy, Pearls Before Swine and sometimes Brevity. I guess I grew into quirky humor.
3. Which Peanuts character is closest to being you? UGH! Much as I hate to admit it, I'm a Lucy. The doctor is usually in...
4. Some say that comic strips have replaced philosophy as a paying job, so to speak. Does this ring true with you? I don't know - was philosophy ever really a paying job? HA HA HA! I think comics are one way of dealing with our culture and current events - they're the comic relief of society. Philosophy doesn't tend to make me laugh like the comics do, but I do admit that comic strips are often philosophical.
5. What do you think the appeal is for the really long running comic strips like Blondie, Family Circus, Dennis the Menace as some examples? Like any classic movie, they deal with themes that everyone can relate to - particularly the way children see the world so differently from adults and often shed light on some things we as adults just do without thinking about it. For the record, Dennis the Menace and Blondie tend to grate on my nerves. Blondie, like Cathy, tends to play a little too much on traditional gender stereotypes for me.
Bonus question: Which discontinued comic strip would you like to see back in print? I can't think of one that I really miss that much.

So what about you and your answers? I'd love to hear your thoughts and perhaps learn about some new strips I'm not familiar with. If you have links, please share!



1 comment:

Lori said...

Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine are two of my regulars too.

Thanks for playing!