Saturday, September 30, 2006

gulp

I'm writing my first ever sermon right now - I have to give it for my preaching class Monday afternoon. Most of the people in my class are pastors of churches already and preach sermons every Sunday - I've never been and don't see myself ever being a pastor and have never preached at all. Growing up Catholic, I never had a "youth Sunday" where I got to help plan a service or anything - preaching was certainly not an option. I remember the first time I went to a United Methodist church and saw a woman preaching and how strange that was for me - not good or bad, but very different. Pastors and priests had never seemed all that different before then, but suddenly options that hadn't ever been considered became real possibilities.

When I changed my major to religion (from vocal music) in college, I really didn't know what I was going to do with it. There was no reason why, other than I knew I wasn't happy in the music department and when I went on my first mission trip I had an amazing spritual/emotional/gut reaction. I consider it to be my call to ministry of some kind. I knew that the work I was doing and the people I was doing it with were special and there was more that I could be doing with my life. I don't know that I've gotten much beyond that point wiht my call - I don't see myself as a pastor but there's no reason that whatever we do in life can't be considered a minstry if we have that intention. That being said, I'm in seminary and have chosen to get an MDiv (Masters of Divinity) - the same degree that pastors receive. Which means I have to learn how to preach. I don't know what I'm going to do with this degree (it's not required to be commissioned as a deaconess) but I've loved seminary until this class. This I'm dreading. Wish me luck and there will be reflections next week...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're willing to post it, I'd love to read your sermon. I think you're going to do very well.

Anonymous said...

Mandy, you will be just fine. Relax and let go. Find the truth and tell the story. God will provide the rest. The gospel is not that hard.

And I am with rachael you will do fine.

Anonymous said...

and yet another vote of confidence--I bet you'll be fantastic!

mandyc said...

thanks for all the votes of confidence. i'm in the process of running thru it to see if i need to add or delete for the sake of time. I'll have to think about whether i want to post it or not - i don't know if i want to (or am ready to) put it out in the public sphere for anyone to read or use as they see fit... it probably also depends on how it goes over tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

So, how did it go?

rae's space said...

Yes, we all want to know...how did it go??

the "other" rachel

mandyc said...

i don't have much time right now, but it basically went well - a little too well maybe. i haven't watched the video yet (but for next week's class I have to watch the tape and write my reflections). i got a lot of compliments and the teacher (did I mention he's also my D.S.?) said something along the lines of "You're a natural for this and really need to reconsider your ministry." Hah! Easy for him to say - the UMC doesn't want to go there. I don't know what to make of it yet - still processing....

Andy B. said...

Post it! Post it! Post it!

rae's space said...

wow....teacher AND D.S.?? that would be major intimidating.
oh, happy birthday.....peace!